Translate

Monday, April 22, 2013

In case you are wondering about the difference between the young growing up and the old getting older, consider this: in the past three days Iggy has learned these words: Suitcase, Scone, Office, Juice-box, Hammer and Ladybug. And countless others. And conjunctions and pronouns.
What have I learned in the past few days? The name of the architect of a famous tall building in Chicago. Something about Chechnya.

That may look good at first glance, but consider this. In six months Iggy will still know his words and will have mastered their usage in a multitude of ways, in sentences, in expletives, in stories and songs. If you mention the skyscraper at 326 Wacker to me in six months I will scratch my head and wonder what you are talking about. If it is a good day, I will know enough to Google the answer.

No comments: